Chris Kaba, the man shot dead by police in south London in September, is suspected of being involved in a nightclub shooting attack days earlier, The Telegraph can reveal.
The 24-year-old is believed to have been among a group of five men suspected of conspiring to murder a rival at a Notting Hill Carnival after-party in east London.
The victim was attending an event at Oval Space nightclub in Cambridge Heath in the early hours of August 30 when the incident took place.
After being shot on the dance floor, the 23-year-old was chased out of the venue into the street by a gunman who shot him twice.
The victim was rushed to Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel where he was taken into armed guard and treated for gunshot wounds to both legs. He survived the attack and is expected to make a full recovery.
Last week, four men appeared in court on charges of conspiracy to murder.
They appeared in Thames Magistrates Court on October 28 and were taken into custody.
They are then due to appear at the Old Bailey on November 25 and a trial is expected to take place next year.
The Telegraph understands the prosecution case will allege that Mr Kaba was involved in the plot of the attack and was present at the time of the shooting.
The father-to-be was shot dead by police on September 5, a week after the nightclub incident, while driving an Audi Q8 alone in south London.
As an inquest into Mr Kaba’s death opened last month, it was revealed that armed officers in an unmarked police car began secretly following the Audi after spotting it parked in Camberwell Green, South London.
The vehicle had triggered the police’s Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system, indicating it had been involved in an incident involving firearms the previous day.
It is not clear if the car had been linked to the shooting at the nightclub.
The armed officers followed the vehicle without activating their lights or sirens, intending to perform a “forced stop extraction” on the driver when deemed appropriate to do so.
The Audi did not belong to Mr Kaba and was not registered in his name, and Scotland Yard said officers were unaware of the driver’s identity at the time.
At around 10.07pm, Mr Kaba drove into Kirkstall Gardens, a residential street in Streatham Hill, south London, where an armed police response vehicle was waiting.
Armed police officers got out of their cars and walked towards the Audi, ordering the driver to get out of his vehicle as well.
A witness at the scene claimed the driver tried to escape the roadblock by ramming his vehicle into one of the police cars.
One of the armed officers, identified only as NX121, who was standing in front of Mr. Kaba’s car then opened fire.
A statement read from the inquest said: ‘A single shot was fired by Officer NX121 piercing the front windshield of the vehicle Mr Kaba was driving and hitting him.’
No firearms were found in the vehicle after Mr Kaba was shot and his family suggested his race may have played a part in his death.
The firearms officer was initially placed on restricted duties, but following a backlash from Mr. Kaba’s family and members of the community, he was later suspended.
As with all police shootings, the matter was referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) which has opened an investigation.
On September 9, four days after the fatal shooting, the IOPC announced that it had launched a homicide investigation and that the officer faced a potential charge of murder or manslaughter.
Mr Kaba’s family have viewed body-worn camera footage recorded by the Met Police and have asked that a charging decision in the officer’s case be made as soon as possible.
However, the IOPC Fund said it could take up to nine months to complete its investigation.
Mr Kaba, whose girlfriend is due to give birth in January, was jailed for four years in 2019 after being convicted of a firearms offence.
He was charged with possession of a firearm with intent to fear violence after shots were fired on December 30, 2017 in the Canning Town area of east London.
He appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court in January 2019 where he was found guilty of possession of a fake firearm.
He was sentenced to four years in a young offenders institute but was released on license the following year.
In August of that year, however, he was sent back to prison after he was caught driving without insurance and with a knife in his car.
Because the offenses were committed while he was still under license, he was sentenced to an additional five months in custody.
Court records also show that in April this year, Mr Kaba was served with a 28-day domestic violence protection order relating to the mother of his unborn child prohibiting him from contacting her on social media or to enter the street where she lives.
Mr Kaba’s family insisted his past was irrelevant to the events leading up to his shooting and said he would not have been killed had he been white.
His family also insisted he had worked hard to turn his life around and harbored ambitions to become an architect.
Referring to the incident at Hackney nightclub, a Scotland Yard spokesman said: “Police were called at 4.25am.
Tuesday August 30, on reports of a shooting at a nightclub in Temple Street, Hackney. Officers were present with the London Ambulance Service.
“A 23-year-old man was found with gunshot wounds and taken to hospital where his injuries were assessed as not life-threatening.”
The spokesman confirmed that four men have been charged with conspiracy to murder and are due to appear in court on November 25.
The Oval Space location had its license revoked after filming.