Paul Pelosi released from hospital in San Francisco

Paul Pelosi was released from hospital six days after an assault that left him with a fractured skull and head and arm injuries, CNN reported Thursday.

The attack on Mr Pelosi, who is married to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, happened in the early hours of Friday morning. The alleged attacker, David DePape, 42, is said to have been looking for Ms. Pelosi, who was not in San Francisco at the time of the attack.

Mr Pelosi reportedly called police from the bathroom of the house before he was attacked with a hammer and taken to an area hospital where he underwent surgery to treat a fractured skull and other wounds.

“Since the horrific attack on Paul early Friday, we have been inundated with thousands of messages expressing concerns, prayers and warm wishes,” Ms Pelosi said in a statement. statement released on Monday. “We are very grateful. Thanks to the great team at @ZSFGCarePaul is making steady progress on what will be a long recovery process.

The attack on Mr Pelosi underscored the threat of physical violence that top elected officials currently face in the United States. While a majority of elected leaders and candidates condemned the assault, some Republicans like Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake and Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin mocked the Pelosis or made light of it. about the incident.

Others have spread baseless conspiracy theories about Mr Pelosi’s relationship with the alleged attacker, even though San Francisco police have confirmed they never interacted before the assault.

Mr DePape himself is said to have become a follower of various far-right conspiracy theories in recent years and told investigators that his plan to attack Ms Pelosi was politically motivated. Authorities say Mr. DePape also had other political targets, although police say he told them he was on a suicide mission at the Pelosi residence.

He had sworn to wait for Mrs. Pelosi to return home, even though her husband had informed him that she would not be returning to San Francisco for days.

The Department of Homeland Security said Wednesday evening that Mr. DePape was illegally in the United States and could be deported from the country after the conclusion of his criminal cases. He was charged with a number of crimes, ranging from attempted murder to assaulting a relative of a federal official, and pleaded not guilty to each of them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *